When a patient calls the surgeon with regard to his or her eligibility for the operation certain questions will have to be answered:
- History of previous operations
- Previous thoracic surgeries may make it impossible to do the surgery.
- Height and weight ratio
- Morbid Obesity
- Any associated medical conditions
- Heart failure, bleeding tendencies, extreme respiratory illnesses
- Any family history indicating a genetic origin
- The degree of interference (level of sweating) with the patient’s regular lifestyle
All of the above questions and more are very important in conducting the first interview by the surgeon. Only after carefully evaluation of the presentation then a decision will be made with regard to the advice that should be given. Any surgeon who asks questions related to these above listed topics demonstrates his or her knowledge on the subject.